In America, English medieval influence on domestic architecture was expressed in more than just one fashion. Distinct from the vernacular Queen Anne which was usually clad with some form of wood, a more historically accurate medieval English form of masonry construction emerged in the last two decades of the nineteenth century. This was an English revival architectural style we today call, Tudor. Most Tudors in America were built after the First World War, but a good number of early examples were constructed toward the end of the Victorian period.
In Warren, a particularly interesting example of Tudor architecture can be found at 307 Market Street (As shown below).
Built about 1890 by Archibald Scofield, the large house represents a relatively early and complete interpretation of this style. The long roof ridge gives the structure a horizontal character and establishes clean control over the gables and dormers constructed below and perpendicular to the long axis of the house. The Market Street facade is a powerful gable end with extensive half timbering, stucco and brick. The two story attic is lighted with two horizontal ranks of windows; the windows of the upper rank are diamond paned. The right side of the building shows a cantilevered stairway and half timbering on the second floor. The left side of the building features a gable dressed with timbering and stucco and situated over a rectangular three story bay clad with wood shingles. Piercing the roof to the right of this gable, a prominent chimney calls attention to its presence. Below the chimney and to the left of the three story bay, a semicircular one story window bay reaches out and gives light to the dining room within. Unlike later, more historically accurate Tudor examples, this house was built with a large veranda, part of which is now gone. Scofield was a successful oil producer and the grandson of Archibald Tanner, a prominent citizen of early Warren.
Built in 1908, this structure features a roof ridge line presenting its long axis to Perry Street and subordinating the perpendicular gables and dormers beneath. The upper stories are covered with stucco and half timbering. Built without a veranda, this structure features a simple covered stoop at the entrance, very English and historically accurate. Like so many Tudors in the Northern Pennsylvania Victorian Region built in the first decade of the twentieth century, the chimneys remain merely utilitarian and without emphasis – a practice which would change after the War. This house was built by another son of E. O. Emerson, Edward Emerson, Junior.Back to top